The 5As Approach to Goal Setting
Sourced from: Clear Review
For a while, SMART goals have been the go-to in terms of goal-setting. Unfortunately, they don’t work for all organisations, and they only tell part of the story. Businesses today are complex, collaborative and rapidly-evolving. This new decade calls for a new way of thinking about objectives, which is why we at Clear Review recommend the 5As approach to goal setting.
This performance management tool and objective process needs to be collaborative. Goals should be set jointly — and should be assessable, aspirational, aligned, accountable and agile:
- ASSESSABLE: This is a goal that can be measured, so it is clear when it’s achieved.
- ASPIRATIONAL: An aspirational goal is stretching, encouraging employees to test themselves and develop, ultimately driving high performance.
- ALIGNED: All goals within the organisation should feed into overall organisational goals and objectives.
ALSO READ How to Convert Paypal to Naira 2021
- ACCOUNTABLE: Employees need to know that they are accountable for the goal itself, and they need to understand if the goal is shared with other team members.
- AGILE: Goals should be near-term (achievable within four months) and reviewed regularly to keep them meaningful and relevant.